satelite <span class="highlight">tv</span> reply

Thank you for your enquiry to the Digital Switchover Taskforce. I apologise for the delay in replying.

The Australian Government is taking action to facilitate a smooth transition from an analog to a digital environment well before switchover occurs in each switchover area.

Minister’s announcement on satellite television services

On 5 January 2010, the Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Stephen Conroy, announced that the Australian Government will fund a new digital television satellite service for viewers who are unable to obtain adequate reception of their local digital television terrestrial services.

The new Government-funded digital satellite service will carry the full suite of free-to-air television channels in all regions of Australia. This will for the first time mean that people in regional and remote Australia will have access to the same number of channels as is available in capital cities. This will include channels providing Seven, Nine and Ten services, and the related commercial digital-only channels, such as 7TWO, GO! and ONE HD. Local regional commercial news bulletins will be available via a dedicated news channel. Further details about this news channel are being developed by broadcasters and will be announced in due course.

All state-based ABC and SBS services, including ABC2 and ABC3, SBS TWO and the new ABC 24 hour news channel, when it launches, will also be carried on the satellite.

The Government is currently in consultation with broadcasters about arrangements to implement the new satellite service. Further information about accessing the new service will be made available when arrangements are finalised and will be published on www.digitalready.gov.au. The services will be available prior to switchover in your area.

The Government will provide a satellite conversion subsidy to eligible households currently served by self-help sites that are not upgraded to digital by the broadcasters, to meet part of the cost of conversion.

On 14 April 2010, the Minister announced the agreement between the Australian Government and broadcasters Southern Cross Media and Imparja to establish a joint venture company, Viewer Access Satellite Television (VAST) that will provide digital TV services to viewers in eastern Australia who cannot receive terrestrial digital TV.

The satellite service will be available for the Mildura/Sunraysia region as the first region to switch over to digital-only TV on 30 June 2010.

To access the VAST service, viewers will need to purchase a new satellite set top box with an access ‘smart card’, a satellite dish and cabling.

The signal from the Eastern VAST service will be covering the Eastern states, South Australia and the Northern Territory. A satellite service for Western Australia viewers is currently under negotiations.

The standard definition signal will cover two separate areas in two different time zones: (i) viewers in NSW, Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania will be provided with a common signal based on Sydney time; and (ii) viewers in Queensland and the Northern Territory will be provided with a common signal based on Brisbane time. The high definition signal will be a common signal provided on Sydney time throughout the Eastern VAST.

Accordingly, the content is not State based but rather will be based on the full suite of digital channels provided by commercial licensees with some changes permitted in certain cases.

Eastern VAST viewers will be able to watch their local news through a dedicated news channel. State based ABC and SBS news services would also be available on their respective channels.

A satellite service for Western Australian viewers, using the same Optus platform, is currently under negotiation with the remote area commercial TV licensees in Western Australia (Prime and WIN Television).

You can find further information about the new satellite service for digital TV on the Digital Ready website www.digitalready.gov.au. The Digital Ready website is available detailing updates and further information on Australia’s digital television transition as announcements are made.

The Digital Ready information line operates 7 days a week from 8am to 10pm (AEST) via a free-call number 1800 2010 13 to provide advice in relation to switchover across Australia. If you have further enquiries, please call the Digital Ready information line.

Kind regards

Digital Switchover Taskforce
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 14:36

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 14:36
That's good info Snapper.

It deserves a reply to keep it at the top.

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 416665

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 15:56

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 15:56
I have asked them a couple of times how it affects the travelling public (us) but only got the same canned blurb. No info on how travellers can access the satellite service and what decoder box is required. So will present equipment work or will a new box be required? It will if you want HD, but SD?? So do we hold off on getting a system????
AnswerID: 416672

Follow Up By: TrevorMR (WA) - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 19:32

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 19:32
It seems to imply that our current Satellite Decoder plus the Optus card will need to be replaced.

As I am about to buy a 12v decoder for my van, I recently asked the guy who supplied my original equipment about Digital and this was his reply.

"DVB-S is the broadcasting standard in Australia for satellite. I stands
for Digital Video Broadcasting - Satellite.

Analogue satellite went out in the late 90's although there is two
analogue channels low in the western horizon"

My current home UDC is a "Digital Satellite Decoder" according to the user manual.

Probably a good idea to hold off for now.

FollowupID: 686819

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 20:25

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 20:25
Just found tis on the SatPlus site here SatPlus

Updated 06/05/10 - Too good to be true, the powers that be couldn't see through the corporate fog and have implemented a 'military level' encryption system for our free to air Australian channels soon to be broadcast in High Definition via satellite. Furthermore, the encryption which is now confirmed to be Irdeto 3, is not supported by any current satellite receiver in Australia other than a product produced by a company called UEC. And of course, UEC will be the initial distributor of these decoders. So, no choice for the public, it's the UEC or nothing. The satellite industry in Australia is a healthy one and one that has been able to offer high quality, feature rich products from companies such as Homecast, Topfield, Humax and Strong have now been 'locked out' and cannot offer products, at this stage that will support this new platform. What could have been an easy transition from Aurora to HD Freeview on satellite will now be a mess. Read more on the technical specs here.
FollowupID: 686831

Sponsored Links